Posted by: palmerstonblue | August 28, 2011



Queens slumped to a third successive league defeat on Saturday, as yet another late goal cost them as Partick Thistle claimed their first league win of the campaign, a result that leaves Queens stuck at the bottom of the first division, and as the only team in the four Scottish leagues without a league victory.

Changes were again made to the Queens starting line-up, with Kevin Smith returning from suspension, and Stephen McKenna starting his first league game of the season. The game began in very mediocre fashion, with both teams clearly lacking in confidence, and it was a good ten minutes into the game before any sort of action took place. A poor back pass from Simmons needed ‘keeper Robinson to be alert, and his clearance fell to McKenna who guided the ball forward for Carmichael to run onto and beat his opponent before he aimed a cross towards Scott McLaughlin, whose header went wide. Almost straight away, Thistle created a half chance when former Queens man Scott Robertson burst into the area, and on passing Robinson went down in the area following the ‘keeper’s challenge, but fortunately for Queens nothing was given by referee McKendrick. Danny Carmichael then chased a lost cause to set up a chance for Smith, but under pressure, the striker was unable to get a shot away.

Not long after that incident, on nineteen minutes,Thistle took the lead with a some what fortunate goal. Chasing a long through ball, striker Elliot put pressure on Mark Campbell, and as Robinson raced from his line to help the defender, he smashed his clearance off  both players and the ball fell kindly for Kris Doolan to knock the ball into the empty net. Going a goal behind would usually spark a team into action, but for some apparent reason, Queens continued in rather lethargic style, with far too many passes going astray, and frequently going out of play. Having said that, the home side seemed to be pretty content as well, and it was Queens who created the next decent half chances with firstly McLaughlin, and then Smith having shots blocked away for corners. The first period drifted towards conclusion with Thistle on the attack, and Queens defender Alan Reid doing well to head clear a dangerous looking cross. A very frustrating first 45 minutes, as both teams showed just why they are at the wrong end of the table, but the home side had the advantage thanks to that tap – in from Doolan.


The hosts started the second period brightly with Elliot carving his way past a statuesque Queens defence, but with only Robinson to beat, his shot was near enough for the Queens ‘keeper to push away for a corner. There was more danger following the corner, as with Robinson beaten, Alan Reid was well placed to head the ball off the line to prevent a second Thistle goal. That escape seemed to wake Queens from their slumber, and for the next period of the game, they slowly started to control the game. Danny Carmichael was hesitant when he found himself with a clear shooting chance, and instead of going for goal, he looked for a supporting team-mate instead and the ball was blocked away. However, Queens soon had another chance, as Craig Reid was brought down just outside the area on the angle and from the resulting free-kick, Chris Higgins should perhaps have done better with his header although Thistle ‘keeper Fox did have to make a save. Moments later following an excellent pass from McLaughlin, another half-chance fell to Carmichael, but again hesitancy allowed a covering defender to block his effort.

The pressure from Queens was building, and a goal appeared to be coming, and sure enough just after the hour mark, Queens deservedly drew level. If the Thistle opening goal had an element of luck about it, this goal was purely down to a goalkeeping error. Chris Higgins delivered a free-kick towards the edge of the area, and ‘keeper Fox completely misjudged the flight of the ball and was outjumped by Mark Campbell who guided his header into the open goal. The equalising goal certainly breathed more life into the game, and the tempo was increased by both teams as they went looking for  a goal that would probably be the winner. Nicky Clark replaced Danny Carmichael, and very soon the former Peterhead player almost made the same impact he made when coming off the bench against Forfar in midweek. Racing through onto Alan Reid’s perfectly weighted pass, he rounded Fox but before he could make contact with the ball again, a covering Thistle defender was able to slide in and block the ball away. Queens went close once more after Johnston wriggled his way past two defenders before blazing his left-foot drive well wide, but minutes later found themselves behind for the second time in the game.

A series of quick passes just outside the Queens area allowed Elliot the chance to slip a low shot past an apparently wrong-footed Robinson to give the hosts the advantage again. With only five minutes left, it seemed as though once again a late goal was to be the undoing of Queens, however they did have a couple of really good chances to salvage a point. Allan Johnston’s flick into the path of Clark allowed him the chance to hit a half-volley from 20-yards out, but with Fox looking on the ball flew past him and bounced off the far post and the rebound  was cleared into touch by the relieved Thistle defence. The final chance of the game could well have ended with a Queens penalty, as following a corner Campbell’s header back across  goal was met by Higgins whose shot appeared to hit the arm of a Thistle defender as it was deflected over the bar for another corner. From the corner that followed, Clark had a free header easily saved by Fox, as time ran out on Queens once again.

So after 4 league games, Queens find themselves  firmly rooted to the foot of the 1st division with just one point to show for their efforts. True, 3 out of the first 4 games have been away from home, but with the top 2 sides being the next visitors to Palmerston, Queens will need to find a very quick improvement in their form.

QUEENS: Robinson-C.Reid-A.Reid-Simmons-Campbell-Higgins-Johnston-McKenna-Smith-McLaughlin-Carmichael

SUBS:Clark for Carmichael(61), and Brighton for Smith(80)

GOAL:   Campbell (61)

CROWD: 2045




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: