Posted by: palmerstonblue | August 2, 2014



Queens moved confidently into the 2nd round of the League Cup after a comprehensive victory over League 2 side, Elgin at a rain soaked Palmerston. Captain Chris Higgins returned to the starting line up following suspension, and Derek Lyle bagged a start in place of the injured Michael Paton. Queens lined up in an attacking 4-4-2 formation, and right from the kick-off, they were the dominant force.

It took the home side just 6 minutes to go ahead when Iain Russell was on hand to net following a defensive error. Queens continued to take the game to the visitors and after squandering several chances,they eventually increased their lead after 35 minutes when Derek Lyle profited from another mistake. The 2 goal half-time advantage was no more than Queens deserved, and any hope that Elgin had of making a game of it disappeared early in the 2nd half when Queens scored for the 3rd time, as Russell was on hand to provide a simple finish following an excellent cross from Danny Carmichael.

It seemed as though every time Queens attacked they would score, but a combination of post, bar, and ‘keeper kept the score down. The home side rounded off the victory against what was a poor Elgin side by scoring 2 goals in the final 4 minutes. Iain Russell completed his hat-trick in fine style when he smashed home a brilliant cross from substitute Lewis Kidd, minutes earlier Russell had only been denied his hat-trick by the crossbar,and almost on the full time whistle, Lyle burst clear of the defence to drive an effort on goal that was initially saved by the ‘keeper, but the ball rebounded back to him and he made no mistake with his second attempt. The final whistle must have been a huge relief for Elgin boss, Barry Wilson, as his side who were never really involved in the game, and who only created 2 half chances throughout the 90 minutes, left Dumfries after their first ever visit, a well beaten team.

Match Reaction-Unlike last week against Livingston, Queens were never in any danger of allowing another 2 goal lead to slip away as League 2 side Elgin simply were not good enough to pose any problems. The final tally might have been 5, but Queens could quite easily have doubled the scoreline when you count up all the chances that they created. Iain Russell could well have had a double hat-trick, and Reilly, McShane, Lyle, Holt and even American Kevin could quite easily have got their names on to the scoresheet. It has been a long time since Queens dominated a game to such lengths,and a possession meter would have had the figures at 95/5 in favour of Queens. So after the disappointment of the defeat by Livingston last week, it was a comfortable progression to the 2nd round for Queens against what was on the day, a very ordinary Elgin side.

QUEENS:Clark-Dowie(Kidd 37)-Holt-Durnan-Higgins-Fowler(Dzierzawski 58)McShane-Carmichael-Russell-Reilly(D.Smith 70)-Lyle

SCORERS  RUSSELL 6, 61, 86         LYLE 35, 90

CROWD 939                                                                                                                                                                              















Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: